Good news for cinema lovers! The 35th edition of Il Cinema Ritrovato will take place in person – from July 20 through 27 – in the theatres and open air venues of Bologna. The rich program is full of discoveries from across the world, the festival appears an invitation to rediscover the thrill of being part of an audience, watching and sharing film masterpieces.
For this year, for all those who will not be able to attend in person, a selection of films from the festival will be available online through the MYmovies streaming platform.
Here are some sneak-peeks for this year’s festival:
The major strands will be:
THE TIME MACHINE
- 1901: Year Six of Cinema (Curated by Karl Wratschko and Mariann Lewinsky)
- One Hundred Years Ago: 1921 (Curated by Karl Wratschko and Mariann Lewinsky)
- In a Maze of Images. The Tomijiro Komiya Collection – Co-organizer: National Film Archive of Japan (Curated by Hiroshi Komatsu, Mariann Lewinsky and Karl Wratschko)
- Buster Keaton! (Curated by Cecilia Cenciarelli)
- Documents and documentaries (Curated by Gian Luca Farinelli)
THE SPACE MACHINE
- Iwanami Productions: The Real Japan (Curated by Alexander Jacoby and Johan Nordström)
- Against All Flags: Wolfgang Staudte (Curated by Olaf Möller)
- Cinemalibero: Feminine, Plural (Curated by Cecilia Cenciarelli and Elena Correra)
- Rebellious Poets and Radical Spirits: Indian Parallel Cinema (Curated by Shivendra Singh Dungarpur, Cecilia Cenciarelli and Omar Ahmed)
THE CINEPHILES’ HEAVEN
- Recovered and Restored (Curated by Gian Luca Farinelli)
- Tribute to Romy Schneider (Curated by Volker Schlöndorff)
- Something to Live For: The Cinema of George Stevens (Curated by Ehsan Khoshbakht)
- Tribute to Aldo Fabrizi (Curated by Emiliano Morreale)
- Tribute to Mank (Curated by Philippe Garnier)
- Super8mm & 16mm – Great Small Gauges (Curated by Karl Wratschko and Mariann Lewinsky)
- A Fritz Lang Dossier (Curated by Bernard Eisenschitz)
Like the previous years, the festival will host a section dedicated to young film lovers called Il Cinema Ritrovato Kids & Young, the Il Cinema Ritrovato Dvd Awards – 18th Edition and the 19th Il Cinema Ritrovato Book Fair.
Il Cinema Ritrovato is created and promoted by Cineteca di Bologna with the support of the Italian Ministry of Culture, the Emilia-Romagna Region, the City of Bologna.
Main Sponsor: Hera Group. Supporters: Pathé, The Film Foundation, Gaumont.