Cineteca di Bologna, L’Immagine Ritrovata, the Fédération Internationale des Archives du Film (FIAF) and the Association des Cinémathèques Européennes (ACE) are thrilled to announce that the 10th FIAF Film Restoration Summer School will take place in Bologna during summer 2024.
The institutions behind the Summer School have come together once again to renew and strengthen their long-lasting cooperation, a bond that aims to pursue the spread of film preservation and conservation through the international community.
The 2024 FIAF Film Restoration Summer School is structured along three main course steps:
- Film restoration online theory course: distance learning, May 2nd to June 13th (on Wednesdays)
- Restoration lectures and Il Cinema Ritrovato film festival: Bologna, Cineteca facilities, from June 22nd to 30th
- Restoration workshops: Bologna, L’Immagine Ritrovata, July 1st to 12th
- Reading the full course description: 2024 FIAF Film Restoration Summer School – Program (PDF).
- Complete your application using this form: 2024 FIAF Film Restoration Summer School – Application (PDF).
The deadline is 16 February, 2024.
The training is conceived for an international target group and will be taught by an international panel of the best experts from different countries. The 2024 FIAF Film Restoration Summer School is aimed at staff working at film archives, institution, or organization, as well as right holders and students in the field of Cinema. The aim is to foster a shared knowledge in the field for current and future generations and world film archives.
All classes will be in English.
Participants will be selected according to their C.V., commitment, and motivation.
The course will be divided into different levels and participants will be grouped according to their skills and expertise according to personal C.V. and experience in that field.
A special commission composed of representatives from FIAF, ACE, and Cineteca di Bologna will examine all applications. The commission will officially release the names of the 40 selected participants via e-mail and on the website of L’Immagine Ritrovata and those of its partners on March 4th.
The participation fee amounts to 4.000€ and includes registration, festival accreditation, accommodation, and lunch for 18 days.
Past editions of the FIAF Film Restoration Summer School have proved to be an excellent meeting ground for people working in the same field. It represents a great opportunity for participants to initiate collaborations on possible future restoration projects.
After completing the FIAF Film Restoration Summer School participants will:
• know how a film can be restored using new digital technologies in a modern, flexible work environment
• be able to manage a complete restoration workflow
• know how to choose the best source to restore a film and have it digitized from film support to 35mm, DCP and file broadcasting
• be able to discuss each step of a restoration project in detail with a restoration laboratory
• know the various approaches to restoration of different FIAF archives
• know how to manage a film restoration project budget
For further information, please contact:
2024 FIAF Film Restoration Summer School
Coordinator: Elena Tammaccaro
Secretariat: Charlotte Oddo
Tel: +39 051 552541 – Fax: +39 051 521584 firstname.lastname@example.org